Monday, November 29, 2010

The Debate Is Over

Imagine if Presidential Debates (the only debates most people pay attention to) went on for days or even weeks.  What torture!  Few people would pay attention after a few hours, and most will have made up their mind long before that.

Have you ever been part of a "Facebook Debate," where someone has posted something controversial and dozens of people make comments for the next several days?  The angry statements "There is no God because..." seem to draw the most attention.  I love to weigh in on those debates, but sometimes you have to draw a line, and decide when the debate is over.

In 1 Corinthians 2:1-2 Paul says, "When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."  

You can consume your intellect with arguing about the existence and nature of God, but ultimately it is a matter of the heart and faith, not the mind.  When people make the statement "I don't believe in God" they usually mean, "I want to live for myself."  Let's lay down the biggest idol in the world today: self.  It is only then we can truly see how big God is, and all he has for for our life.  It is then that the debate is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment