Sunday, November 7, 2010

Darkness

It is just me, or does the time change feel like jet lag?  We get an extra hour, but for some reason I am thrown off!  In reality, the change of seasons can throw many of us for a loop.  Less sunlight means your brain releases more melatonin; in a bear, it makes you sleep for 5 months, but in humans, it makes us tired, lethargic, and grumpy. It is the source of a condition known as Seasonal Affective Disorder, or S.A.D.  Some people get depressed, and others simply retreat into their comfort zones.  I am guilt of the latter.  I become attached to my favorite spot on the couch, my regular bedtime, my daily routine, and my favorite foods.

It might not be a bad idea, as some S.A.D. patients do to suppress their melatonin levels, to look into the light.  Stick with your Bible reading, keep plugged in at church, and stay attuned to the voice of God.  Nothing overcomes spiritual apathy like the presence of God.  When you least feel like it, when you have nothing to say, when you are angry, depressed, or just tired, there is nothing better to do than just worship the Lord with all your heart.  Don't ask him for anything at that moment, and don't run down your list of prayer requests just yet.  Simply worship him for who he is, and the light of his presence will drive away the darkness that feels like it is smothering you.  Just like good medicine, it might not feel good at first, but it works wonders every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment